Housing the National Ballet School of Canada, this building is the combination of several buildings earlier structures. The oldest building is the heritage home of Sir Oliver Mowat, constructed in 1856 and originally known as Norfield House. That structure and surrounding ones were used by Havergal Ladies’ College from 1898 to 1932 and were then taken over by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation to house their radio and television studios until 1996. In 2003 construction began to combine all of the structures into one and build three new buildings to house the ballet school.
Canada's National Ballet School315 Mutual St, Toronto, ON M4Y 1X6, Canada
The National Ballet School was founded in 1959 by dancer Celia Franca and teacher Betty Oliphant of the National Ballet of Canada based on Britain's Royal Ballet School. The school began in a former Quaker meeting house now known as Salle Currie Hall and eventually expanded into several new buildings nearby.