The nine acre Japanese garden was completed in 1912 with the purchase of many plants and features from a nearby property. The house situated on a hill overlooking the garden was constructed in Japan before being shipped to Pasadena and eventually ending up in the garden in 1911. The central moon bridge was specifically commissioned from craftsman Toichiro Kawai for the garden.
The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens1151 Oxford Rd, San Marino, CA 91108, USA
The Huntington Library and surrounding 120 acres of grounds are a education and research collection established in 1919 by Henry & Arabella Huntington. The main Art Gallery is located in the former residence of the Huntingtons with an extensive collection of European and American art. The surrounding grounds support a variety of botanical gardens including the Chinese, Japanese, and Desert gardens as well as the Rose Hills Foundation Conservatory. The extensive and varied grounds located within the Studio Zone make the Huntington extremely popular with film productions.
The former home build for Henry E. Huntington and his with Arabella which opened to the public after their deaths in 1928 to present their large art collection. The building was constructed beginning in 1908 by engineer E.S. Cole and architect Myron Hunt in the Beaux Arts style. It was expanded to 1934 with the additional Thornton Portrait Gallery.
First established in 1904 by William Hertrich, the Lily Ponds are built atop a natural spring which feeds the 5 ponds.
The Munger Research Center was constructed with funding from Charles T. Munger in 2004 to house storage for the library's collections, as well as facilities for conservation work, imaging, research, and administration.
The 15-acre garden known as the Garden of Flowing Fragrance, or 流芳園, was inspired by the Ming dynastic era gardens of Suzhou. It is the most recently constructed gardens on the property opening in 2008 and contains a pair of lakes and several pavilions connected by a series of paths and bridges.
The Helen and Peter Bing Children's Garden contains water features, topiary animals, and various other whimsical attractions for kids visiting the Huntington.
The ten acre desert garden contains over 2,000 species of desert plants collected by William Hertrich in 1907 from around California, the Southwest, and Mexico.