Central ParkCentral Park, New York, NY, USA
The Mall, running from the flower bed on Center Drive in the south to Bethesda Terrace in the north, is the only straight path in the entire park. The path runs through a series of statues of famous writers known as the Literary Walk and past the Naumburg Bandshell. The walkway and surrounding American elms were built in 1857 and designed as part of the large park by landscape architects Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux.
Constructed originally to hold the sheep that grazed on the nearby Sheep Meadow in 1870, the building was remodeled in 1934 into an elegant but affordable restaurant in Central Park. The restaurant passed through the hands of several owners over the century before going bankrupt in 2009. Several years later the restaurant was remodeled and finally reopened in 2014.
A cast iron bridge crossing over The Lake designed by Calvert Vaux & Jacob Wrey Mould and opened in 1862, the first cast-iron bridge built in the park. Bow Bridge is the longed bridge in Central Park clocking in at 87 feet. The bridge is topped by eight cast-iron urns which are duplicates installed in 2008 to replace the originals which disappeared in the 1920s.