LAX is the fourth busiest airport in the world (2nd in the United States) that covers over 3,500 acres near the beach between Westchester & El Segundo. The airport first opened in 1930 under the name Mines Field and got its current name in 1949. Four parallel runways serve the airport the longest of which is almost 13,000 ft long. LAX has nine passenger terminals with 128 gates as well as a cargo terminal and heliport. The distinctive googie-style Theme Building in the center of the terminal complex was designed in 1961 by architect Paul Williams. The arched structure contains a panoramic retro-futuristic restaurant with views of the airport.