St. Pancras Station was constructed by the Midland Railway in 1868 as the terminus of their only line into London. It was designed by William Henry Barlow with a single-span iron roof, the largest such roof at the time spanning 245 feet. In the early 2000s the platforms were extended with a new train shed to allow the station to accommodate the longer Eurostar trains coming in through the Chunnel. As soon as the station was complete, construction began on a hotel at the front of the station designed by architect George Gilbert Scott in a Italian gothic style with polychromatic brick materials. The hotel operated until 1935 when it was converted into offices, but it was eventually renovated and converted back into a hotel in 2011.